Undergraduate Upper Division Certificates
- Decision Making Support Certificate: To increase efficiency and effectiveness many organizations rely upon decision making support built into their data and information systems. This upper division certificate in Decision Making Support provides students with the background and experience necessary to create automated information systems including coursework in decision support, artificial intelligence and enterprise management topics.
- Network Administration Certificate: Today’s information systems are built using networked components. This upper division certificate in Network Administration provides students with the knowledge and experience necessary to analyze, design, maintain and administer networked based information systems for a variety of organizations.
- Web Development Certificate: Many modern information systems are designed for web access. This upper division certificate in web design allows students to gain the knowledge and experience necessary to analyze, design and create web based interfaces for a variety of organizations through a combination of courses that address high level programming, content creation, and computer interface design
Management and Business Program
- Management Science Certificate: UMBC’s Management Science Certificate Program prepares students for careers in business and government. This program is designed to supplement a liberal arts or science major; certificates must be earned concurrently with an undergraduate major. Students gain the combined benefits of their major program and a business program and have great success in obtaining employment and acceptance in top graduate and professional school programs.
- Auditing for Information Systems Certificate: The growth in information technology capabilities and the effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other legislation are driving demand for information technology auditors in public, private, non-profit and government sectors. The objective of this program is to prepare the student for entry positions in the IT audit field and for certification as an information systems auditor.
- Project Management for Information Systems Certificate: The Project Management for Information Technology Certificate (PMIT) responds to an ever-growing need in the IT field for Project Managers and professionals with a background in project management—an in-demand skill set for IS students and one of the fastest growing professional disciplines in the US. Currently there are more than 160 countries relying on this field to create and update IT systems for business and government organizations due to rising costs and complexity for large-scale IT projects.
- MBA Preparatory Studies Program: The M.B.A. preparatory studies program is available to students in any major who plan to pursue an M.B.A. after graduation from UMBC. This curriculum is designed to meet the coursework requirements for entry into the M.B.A. program at many graduate business schools including The Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland – College Park. No substitutions are allowed. Completion of this curriculum does not guarantee entry into any graduate business program. Students should note that most business graduate schools require the GMAT, and many will not consider a grade below “B” in assessing entry requirements. Increasingly, business schools are requiring business work experience before admittance into a master’s program
AN IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL NON-INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT STUDENTS PURSUING CERTIFICATES OFFERED THROUGH OUR DEPARTMENT: You must see the IS Director of Undergraduate Programs for information and course permissions.