The BA program is designed for students who want a basic education in the use of PC-based office information systems. The BA degree is less technical in nature than the BS program and the focus of the courses is more on the user of office systems.
For successful completion of the degree, all students must satisfy the general education requirements that are explained in the UMBC Undergraduate Catalog.
Effective Fall 2013: All Business Technology Administration majors must complete at least 9 upper level IS and Management courses taught by the IS department at UMBC.
For students who declared the major Fall 2012 or later, the required program courses for the Bachelor of Arts Degree are below. Course descriptions are available in the Course Catalog.
For students who declared the major prior to Fall 2012, click here for the required program courses.
- IS 101 – Introduction to Computer-Based Systems OR COMP101 Computational Thinking and Design
- IS 125 – Information Systems Logic & Structured Design
- IS 202 – Systems Analysis Methods
- IS 295 – Intermediate Business Applications
- IS 300 – Management Information Systems
- IS 303 – Fundementals of Human-Computer Interaction
- IS 320 – Advanced Business Applications
- IS 325 – Introduction to Management Science
- IS 350 – Business Communications Systems
- IS 440 – Integrating Technology into Business Processes
- IS 3xx or 4xx – Upper Level IS Elective
(Students may not use IS 397, IS 399, IS 400, IS 467, IS 469, IS 478, IS 479, or any course being used to satisfy an IS certificate requirement.)
Mathematics and Statistics
- MATH 155 – Applied Calculus
- STAT 351 – Applied Statistics for Business and Economics (M)
Economics and English
- ECON 101 – Principles of Microeconomics (SS)
- ECON 102 – Principles of Macroeconomics (SS)
- ECON 121 – Principles of Accounting I
- ECON 122 – Principles of Accounting II
- ENGL 393 – Technical Communication
- MGMT 210 – The Practice of Management
- MGMT 489 – Seminar in Management and Administration
- MGMT 3xx or 4xx – Upper Level MGMT Elective
(may not use MGMT 399, or a course being used to satisfy a certificate requirement)
- A grade of “C” or better is required in each course needed to fulfill the BA requirements.
- Students in the BA in BTA program cannot declare a double major with the BS in IS program.