Health information technology (IT) is about making health-related information useful to individuals and organizations for improving the quality of care, obtaining better health outcomes, and reducing health care costs. The health care industry is adopting health IT solutions such as electronic health records and telemedicine on a wide scale. The core courses in this certificate teach students about the fundamental recurring concepts and essential applications in health IT. The electives provide students with knowledge about the underlying technologies that support health IT solutions. The concepts and skills acquired in the courses are synthesized into a final health IT experience.
Courses required to complete the certificate are below. Course descriptions can be found in the Course Catalog. The printed course catalog contains the official listing of program requirements and takes precedence over information listed on this site. Should you discover a discrepancy between the printed catalog and any information posted on this site, please contact the Department of Information Systems for instructions.
Core (6 credits)
- IS 460 – Health Care Informatics I (credits: 3)
- IS 461 – Health Care Informatics II (credits: 3)
Experience (3 credits)
- IS 397 – Health IT Internship (credits: 3) OR IS 467 – Health IT Project (credits: 3)
Electives (choose two – 6 credits)
- IS 427 – Introduction to Artificial Intelligence: Concepts and Applications (credits: 3)
- IS 428 – Data Mining Techniques and Applications (credits: 3)
- IS 430 – Information Systems and Security (credits: 3)
- IS 464 – Telemedicine (credits: 3)
- This upper division certificate is only available to currently enrolled degree-seeking undergraduate students at UMBC. Your major can be from any of those offered at the university. Non-degree seeking students are unable to declare participation in any IS undergraduate certificate program.
- Certificates do not require departmental permission. Please use the Undergraduate Declaration of Major, Minor, and Certificate Form to add a certificate.
- Notice of successful completion is placed on the transcript at time of graduation. There is not a separate certificate document.
- An Important Note: Although we do not require department permission, before submitting the form to add a certificate please contact IS Director of Undergraduate Programs, Richard Sponaugle, email@example.com, for information and prerequisites. Some individual courses may require permission to enroll, and it is important to discuss the timing of offerings and prereqs before submitting the form for the Health IT certificate.
- Upper level courses taken to satisfy an IS certificate requirement may not also be used to satisfy the required upper level IS elective course in the IS or BTA majors. All upper level courses count toward the 45 upper level credits required to graduate from UMBC.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.