To increase efficiency and effectiveness many organizations rely upon decision making support built into their data and information systems. This upper division certificate in Decision Making Support provides students with the background and experience necessary to create and/or implement automated information systems including coursework in decision support, artificial intelligence and enterprise management topics.
Courses required to complete the certificate are below. Course descriptions can be found in the Course Catalog. The printed course catalog contains the official listing of program requirements and takes precedence over information listed on this site. Should you discover a discrepancy between the printed catalog and any information posted on this site, please contact the Department of Information Systems for instructions.
Courses: 12 upper level credits
- IS 325 – Introduction to Management Science (credits: 3)
- IS 425 – Decision Support Systems (credits: 3)
At least 2 of the following:
- IS 427 – Introduction to Artificial Intelligence: Concepts and Applications (credits: 3)
- IS 428 – Data Mining Techniques and Applications (credits: 3)
- IS 438 – Project Management (credits: 3)
- This upper division certificate is only available to currently enrolled degree-seeking undergraduate students at UMBC. Your major can be from any of those offered at the university. Non-degree seeking students are unable to declare participation in any IS undergraduate certificate program.
- Certificates do not require departmental permission. Please use the Undergraduate Declaration of Major, Minor, and Certificate Form to add a certificate.
- Notice of successful completion is placed on the transcript at time of graduation. There is not a separate certificate document.
- An Important Note: Although not we do not require department permission, before submitting the form to add a certificate please contact IS Director of Undergraduate Programs, Richard Sponaugle, email@example.com, for information and prerequisites. Some individual courses may require permission to enroll, and it is important to discuss the timing of offerings and prereqs before submitting the form for the Decision Making Support certificate.
- Upper level courses taken to satisfy an IS certificate requirement may not also be used to satisfy the required upper level IS elective course in the IS or BTA majors. All upper level courses count toward the 45 upper level credits required to graduate from UMBC.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.